The Pediatric Residency Program accepts all applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service. Students can access ERAS through the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- All applicants must have graduated from an accredited medical school.
- All applicants must have passed Step 1, 2CK and 2CS (Comlex scores will be accepted in lieu of USMLE but we encourage osteopathic residents to also take the USMLE exams).
- International applicants must have an ECFMG certificate; all applicants must have documentation of a minimum of three months of direct patient care activity in the U.S. or Canada within the last four years. Clinical rotations, during medical school will suffice for U.S. and Canadian students; for international medical graduates, U.S. or Canadian medical school clinical rotations or externships of direct patient care in the U.S. or Canada will suffice; clinical observer experiences, and non-clinical graduate work such as research, do not meet this requirement.
- All applicants must have three letters of recommendation from U.S. or Canadian physicians who have personal knowledge of the applicant’s clinical ability and personal characteristics.
- All applicants must be within four years of graduation from medical school or active clinical practice.
- Applications will be accepted through December.
- VCU offers J-1 Visas.
Application reviews and interviews
Completed files are reviewed, and invitations to interview are extended through ERAS. Interviews will be scheduled on designated interview dates.
Please contact our Residency Office with all inquiries regarding interviews, scheduling or questions about our program.
Residency program coordinator
Virginia Commonwealth University
Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
P.O. Box 980264
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0264
Phone: (804) 827-0534
Fax: (804) 828-2435